Saturday, May 14, 2011

Phd

Her facebook status told me that she was facing problems with her experiments. That was about a fortnight ago. Later in the day, the phone rang. There were no cheerful salams or hellos, instead I heard cries of despair on the other side.
' I want to go home.' she told me in between sobs.
' Just tell me when , and I'll tell Ayah to book the tickets.' I assured her.
Those were the only conversations that we've had and she hung up 15 minutes later.

It's tough being in her position. Practically alone with no Malaysian community. Luckily, she makes a few friends who are kind enough to accompany her when they are not occupied with work.The landlord's children are nice and friendly and their cats are always at her doorstep. Every Sundays, if time permits, she teaches Quran to the Muslim children. She loves the stress of teaching the boisterous children.

I know she is not the only one. There are thousand others who are pursuing further studies and as mothers , we hope we can provide words of comfort to ease the difficult situation. I did the same thing to Aman when there was an unrest in Egypt a few months ago. Mind the telephone bills and the long hours. I am glad she reached out and called home.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you; that's my advice. Treat people with respect and dignity and they will treat you the same. Be strong and confident. If the going gets tough, turn to Allah and if you wish someone to talk to, I will always be there.

Yesterday was a different story. I called and she was bubbling with excitement.
'Mak, can you call me only once a month.'

No, I can't and I wouldn't. I will miss you terribly!

4 comments:

  1. :-)

    dijah...dijah. saya harap dia ok kat sana makcik.

    -Ina taman perpaduan-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alhamdulillah, dijah ok. Dia selalu kol, so tak la risau sangat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salams,

    Benar Makcik, saya tidak tahu betapa stress nyer buat phd nih until the moment kene editing, proof reading, and re-profreading.

    My body cant take it anymore, but i never realise it. I hope dijah's fate is better than me. So many of us who are sick without realise it.

    Huhuhu, doakan kami Makcik.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terima kasih kerana ingatkan mcik. Sometimes I forget that there are others who face the same problem. Mcik doakan kalian diberikan ketenangan dan Allah permudahkan segala urusan.

    ReplyDelete