Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Jom Berubah!

Salam.

Lately this has been the hottest topic in our beloved country.

Malaysia is facing a severe Human Capital Flight with large-scale emigration of intellectuals seeking greener pastures in more advanced society like in Singapore who is estimated to have 45 % of the best brains from Malaysia and 25 % to other Asian countries with the balance of 30 % to Europe and the USA out of the total estimated one million Malaysian working overseas.

I am not racial because I am also a 'pendatang'. My late great-great-grandfather and his family came to Perak from Sumatra to make a living here. My grandmother was still a baby then. They worked hard, clearing land in remote areas. Alhamdulillah, with sheer hard work and blessings from Allah, they lived a comfortable life.

My late father-in-law came to Malaysia from India to seek a better future. He worked hard and his Japanese employer would call on him when they needed his services.

I am not surprised if the non-bumi students worked extra hard and are outstanding in every examinations that they take . The formula is simple : The harder you work, the more successful you will be.

I am more concerned with the Malays, the previleged group, who are not aware how previleged they are. At school, I try to instill the students' worthiness and talk about their responsibilities so that they became dedicated future leaders.

I try to instill the importance of time-management, good behaviour, tolerant with one another, working hard, respect to the elders and be the best in whatever they do. We can do it, but we are just too lazy to bother. We become slaves to 'kedai kopi talk' and our never-ending need to 'hiburan'! Wherever you go, the sight of people gossiping is always there.

Back to the news excerpts. If I were the government, I would just let them migrate in peace. In replacement, I want you, you, you and you to work really hard and be the best in your field of study, pray hard as if there is no tomorrow and be grateful with whatever Allah has given to you.
Yes, Malaysia needs the best brains with IMAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment